Saturday, May 25, 2019
Follow us on

Another Army man held in Rewari gangrape case

September 26, 2018 05:45 AM


Another Army man held in Rewari gangrape case
Two more arrested for sheltering suspects while on the run
Tribune News Service

Mahendragarh, September 25

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) has arrested another Army man, identified as Naveen alias Nikku, in connection with the Rewari gangrape case.

Naveen was arrested from the Army centre in Gopalpur (Odisha) where he was undergoing training. He, along with prime suspect in the case Nishu Phogat, was produced before a local court which sent them to judicial custody till October 5.

The SIT has arrested two other men — identified as Abhishek of Mahendragarh and Manjit of Nunia village (Rajasthan) — on charges of providing shelter and food to Pankaj and Manish during their absconding period.

Sources said Naveen, a resident of Naya Gaon village, had been close to Nishu Phogat. He came to the village on leave some days ago and went to the tubewell room on the fateful day when the gangrape was committed there.
His mobile location confirmed that he was present in the village on that day, sources added.

“Naveen had the information about the crime, but did not inform the police about it. Later, he returned to his training centre in Odisha. A police team was sent to the centre to arrest him on getting information about his connection with the crime,” said sources, adding that he had given some vital information during interrogation.

The SIT has arrested all three main accused — Armyman Pankaj, Manish and Nishu Phogat — and two others — Deen Dayal, owner of the tubewell room, and Sanjeev, a medical practitioner who extended medical aid to the rape victim at the crime spot.

Pankaj and Manish, who are on the police remand these days, will be produced in court on September 27.

The SIT chief Nazneen Bhasin claimed the case had been solved within 240 hours with the arrest of all accused.


Have something to say? Post your comment