Monday, December 10, 2018
Follow us on
Niyalya se

General quota open for overseas citizens too: HC

August 11, 2018 09:32 AM

COURSTEY MIRROR AUG 11

General quota open for overseas citizens too: HC
Suspends govt’s circular stating such students could apply for admission only in NRI quota
Ahmedabad Mirror Bureau
amfeedback@timesgroup.in
TWEETS @ahmedabadmirror

Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) can get admission in the medical courses under the general quota of the students, the Gujarat High Court has ruled. The court suspended a circular issued by the government according to which OCIs could be enrolled only under15 per cent quota earmarked for NRIs and that they could not apply under the remaining 85 per cent quota.

“My clients were born in USA and UK and returned to Gujarat over a decade ago. Hence, they applied for medical admission under the general quota. However, authorities refused to give them admission under that. Therefore, we filed the petition seeking that my clients be considered at par with other students,” said Rahul Sharma, the students’ lawyer.


Arushi Sevak, born in USA, and Bhavan Naik, born in UK, had filed a petition after they were not considered for admission when the state government made domicile certificate mandatory from the current academic year.

Sevak has been in India since 2004 while Naik is here since 2006 after their parents moved to Gujarat. They have pursued their studies here since then.

Both had filed a plea recently requesting the court to direct the state government to allow them admission in general category. However, the state government had objected on the ground that they did not have domicile certificates and could get admission only in NRI quota. Sharma argued before the court that they have the right to get domicile certificate as they have been living in Gujarat for more than a decade now. Also, rules do not prohibit OCI students from taking admission under the state’s quota

Have something to say? Post your comment